Friday, November 16, 2007

Holiday decorations

I like those ideas, Saffron, you feel better just by being near that colour. Don't know about you, but, I have been missing my usual holiday cheer. It came from an early weekend morning, cold as can be, walking through a tree farm only to return to the first tree that caught our eye, chop it down, wrap it in a blanket and cart it home to let the branches relax in the heat of the great indoors. It would fill the house with that smell. And exude, that magickal light. Then Global warming had to through a huge wrench in the things we hold dear! That stupid ozone! (Ha- beleive me when I say that I am just fooling around). So no more trees, lights, at a minimum (maybe we'll just have them as our evening lights for the season) So, I thought. And thought. How about making my own tree? This is what I'm gonna do. Go and gather branches. For the office I'll be spray painting them white and wrapping lights (the white wired kind) all around the limbs. and suspend them from the ceiling, like a chandalier. In my home, I will do a variation of this but paint the limbs with green watercolor and use green wire multi colour lights. If I'm really into it, I may take router and route out 1 in. holes in a "trunk" and do the same with the branches, and then inset ( sounds hard, but is not) dowls of that said size, with a mallet. Don't forget to jiggle the router a tiny bit, so you can insert the dowls in the branches and the trunk. Granted there are no needles to fill the house with that aroma. But hey, that's what simmering herbs , oil warmers, and incense are for right? Maybe even a really good scented candle. Also this year I just may bust out the old ginger bread house idea. Traditions are fun and they start with a yearning for something that takes a little effort, for absolutely no good reason, accept to celebrate something that will happen with you or without you. It makes life a little more friendly and inviting.

1 comment:

foodstuffs said...

love it!!
I have a little oil burner i got at like the body shop. and they have pine scented oil. I usually hate their oils but this one smells good. then of course you can plop a little oil on a light bulb